Saturday, December 17, 2011

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

What a beauty!
Bonne Fête Daddy! XOXO

It is so exciting to spot a never-seen-before bird. Sitting in the sun room having my morning coffee reading The Cat's Table, I looked up to see a different looking woodpecker at the peanut feeder. I quickly grabbed the binos to get a good look: definitely bigger than a Hairy; slender head with interesting orange plumage; and would you look at that beak -- oh so long! Most woodpeckers have similar black and white barred upperparts. I suppose it is to simulate the bark of trees. According to my reference books, this pecker is common. Welcome to you Madame Red-bellied Woodpecker! I hope you stay awhile.

BTW, I've loaded the new Blogger interface and quite like its sleekness. I'd love to hear your feedback blogger friends.



2 comments:

  1. what an elegant looking bird!

    I have Cat's Table loaded.... starting this week... do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very elegant. The picture is that of the male. The female was at our feeders all weekend. No sight of her this Monday morning. Maybe she works ;)

    The Cat's Table is beautifully written. I wonder if it's a bit biographical. I find it a bit slow at times and I am then easily distracted by the birds at the feeder.

    Wine tasting was great fun! Bravo for a most pleasant and well executed affair.

    ReplyDelete